Monday, December 6, 2010

Big Brother Luvvie


Have I mentioned how much Doodlebop loves his big bro Mr. P? And vice versa of course. I mean, these two are seriously in love (photographic proof).

Since they sleep in separate rooms,  I thought it would be fun to make something for the little one that allowed him to snuggle with his older brother every night.

Materials Needed:
1 fat quarter material #1 (I used a natural, white linen)
1 fat quarter material #2 (I used this cute linen robot print)

fabric scissors
batting (I used organic bamboo fiber)
matching thread
paper for pattern making
printable fabric sheets (Joann's)

Here's how I did it:

First, I chose a photo of Mr. P. that I thought his brother might enjoy cuddling with. This one worked nicely because his face is pretty big in it. (It's from our camping trip in August.)

Then, I got my handy dandy fabric paper from Joann's and loaded one piece into my printer (this does not work on laser printers), fabric side down so that the image would print on the fabric side. I let it dry for thirty minutes or so and then peeled away the paper backing from the fabric, leaving me with a piece of fabric, the size of a sheet of paper,  with Mr. P's face on it.

I cut out the portion of the fabric I wanted to use (his face) NOTE: Life would have been much easier for me had I just cut out the fabric in a even circle as opposed to following the contours of his face. This made sewing this awkward shape onto my white fabric quite challenging. So cut it out in an even circle!

I placed his sweet face on a large piece of paper (for those of you interested in the scale of this, his face is about 4 or 4 1/2 inches long) And I proceeded to sketch the relative shape of the finish product that I wanted to make. I wanted it to look somewhat like a Russian Doll shape. 

Once I had the shape nailed down, I traced his head on the paper. (that's the outer most line.) Then I traced a second line inside that. This would serve as my sewing allowance. (If I cut it out at that outer circle, I'd have no fabric from his head to sew to my natural fabric. So I needed to make the hole I used a bit smaller than the circumference of his head.)

Here's a view of what the whole shape looked like that I envisioned. So the top panel would be Mr. P's face on white linen and the bottom half would be the robot material. Again, those of you wondering about scope - my drawing was almost two feet tall and one foot wide.

I cut out my paper pattern and traced it over the natural linen and cut out the shape. (don't forget you have to make a matching shape for the back of the luvvie - minus the hole for the head. I just doubled up my white fabric and cut two pieces out at once.)

Then I cut out  the space I created for Mr. P's head. 

Now the tricky part. I had to attach the fabric with his head to the white fabric. Challenging!!! Very slowly and with right sides facing, I began pinning my way around his head (ouch!), making sure that his face covered the entirety of the hole I cut out. This took a few tries to come out right. 

This is what it looks like from the wrong side - pinned all the way around. 

And this is what it looks like from the right side. This photo shows how wonky it was the first time, so I had to take the pins out and start over. Eventually, I got it right (if I had cut out his head in a circle shape it would have been much easier!) I ran to the sewing table and sewed the head to the white fabric. 

I cut out my bottom, robot panel (again, you have to do two shapes, one for the front of the luvvie and one for the back. And again, I doubled my fabric and cut both out at once, using my paper pattern as a guide.)

I pinned my robot (lower) panel, right sides together and sewed around in the shape of a C (so just the curved, lower part) leaving the waist or straight end of the luvvie unsewn.

I joined my upper and lower panels, right sides together, pinned them and sewed around the waist of the luvvie. The upper panel, at this point, is still open. But not for long! I then sewed up the left side of the upper panels and then the right side, leaving about a three-inch opening at the top. 

Here's a shot of the opening at the top. 

Everything else is sewn together at this point. You're almost done!

Turn the whole thing rightside out, grab your filler and start stuffing! If there were any kinks in the image that you've sewn, you can manipulate your stuffing so that it pushes the photo image evenly out. Because of the odd shape of the head I attached, the photo looked a little scrunched at the bottom, but when I added the filler, it all evened out.  (I used Bamboo Fiber - it's so soft!)

The stuff really stuck to my sweater. 

Then all you have to do is either hand sew or machine sew that little three-inch opening you have and....

Voila! A luvvie that can be used for decoration or comfort! Had I been more ambitious or more creative, I might have added arms and legs (making him look more like Humpty Dumpty.)

Wrap, place under tree and get that sweater washed so you don't walk around looking like an unkempt sheep.  


  1. I like it. :o) And your boys are so adorable!

  2. You've inspired me to make a baby blanket sized quilt with my girls' pictures on it so that my youngest can have her sisters with her.

    I'm sure your little one will adore this!

  3. Eli - One person's creepy is another's treasure.

  4. Adorable! What a loving idea!

  5. @Anonymous, I inspired someone! I'm thrilled! And a baby blanket! How ambitious! I'd love to see a photo when you finish! I think the photo fabric would be such a great way to tell a story through a quilt.

  6. The only thing sweeter than this lovey is the idea of doodlebop snuggling with it, so cute.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.